Thursday, October 6, 2011

Voice memo- This I believe essay

https://mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1#inbox/132dbd74a0df9994

body
Maura K. Flaherty
This I believe. I believe in traveling. The majority of the people living in this state have not left this state. They have lived in the same town, city, or community for most of their lives. But what does that do for the brain? I imagine it is screaming. It feels suffocated with the same old images. There is so much out there, beyond our safety barriers, we have the choice to explore.
When I was a little girl I thought I would live in Pembroke for the rest of my life. I had no interest in leaving. Pembroke was my home and I wanted it to stay that way, but now I have no idea where home is. Home is where your heart is; I’m still searching for mine. My trip to Nicaragua changed my view on home. It was my first taste of the real world. The sights I saw, the things I smelt, all new, my brain was feasting. I realized then that I have no idea who Earth is. She has so much to offer and I have confined myself to one tiny part of her.
How many times do we live? If re-incarnation is not on the radar then the answer is once. I have realized in my seventeen years of living just how fast life is. I am already seventeen. I have lived and breathed air on this Earth for that amount of time and looking back makes me realize just how quick time slips. Before I know it I will be married with kids. I do not want to look back on my past wishing I had done more while I had the time.
I am not sure where I will be in ten years but I know that I hope it is not thetown of Plymouth, the state of Massachusetts, or the country of the United States. I want to take my knowledge and my work to places elsewhere. To be smart means to read books and study, but to be intelligent means to absorb information and culture from places outside your home. I cannot wait for my mind and spirit to flourish with unknown wonders of life. I cannot wait to take the shackles of my brain and spirit. I have already loosened them. Exploring the woods, the city, now it is time to move on and fill the rest of my years with the wonders of the world, and I know I am ready.
Before I leave this world I hope I travel to every corner. I hope I see The Great Barrier Reef in Australia and the ancient palaces of Beijing. I hope to just travel and explore with no guidelines just me a backpack and a companion for protection. I understand times have changed and it can be dangerous where ever you may go, but I am not letting a few stories define my brain’s living quarters. It’s hungry and I am ready to feed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment